Thursday, May 10, 2007

Define me.

"Mirror" By: Barlow Girl

Mirror, Mirror on the wall, Have I got it?
'Cause Mirror you've always told me who I am
I'm finding it's not easy to be perfect
So sorry you won't define me
Sorry you don't own me

Who are you to tell me
That I'm less than what I should be?
Who are you? Who are you?
I don't need to listen
To the list of things I should do
I won't try, I won't try

Mirror I am seeing a new reflection
I'm looking into the eyes of He who made me
And to Him I have beauty beyond compare
I know He defines me

You don't define me, you don't define me
__________________________________________

So isn't it true that most girls live by this standard? And why wouldn't they? Its everywhere. It surrounds us, it consumes us, its in the movies, on the T.V., its in our speach, its in our songs, its how we're judged, its how we judge ourselves, its how we gauge if we're healthy or not, its in our magaizines, its pretty much in our face every where we turn.
BUT.
It doesn't DEFINE us.
It doesn't have to that is.
This is an area that really resonates with me. All my life, all the way back to elementary school, I've been defined by the 'mirror'. I was defined people who said I wasn't good enough, or believing their lies that I didn't measure up, or comparing myself to all my other friends who by societies standards were 'acceptable'.

No comments:

Is this mic on?

 *Tap tap tap* Hello? Hello?? Is this mic on?  Testing, testing...1..2..3 Well hey there...it has been a hot minute since I have visited thi...