Saturday, September 22, 2012

Cake

Oh Cake.
Dear sweet cake.
You are a fun hobby, but oh so stressful.

For those of you who may not know my blog has everything in it. From what God is teaching me to my kids, to randomness, and to my hobby. I would say making cakes is my hobby. I started two years ago this coming January, and the goal was to make my daughter Ella's 1st birthday. Inspired by Buddy from Cake Boss, love that show by the way, I thought I will try to make a nice cake for Ella. So I started researching & learning. Failing, trying again, dry cakes, not cooked all the way cakes, to the cakes that just go smooth. Her cake was pulled off and I was happy, but I just kept going with it. Not being really strong in the kitchen, I just have found that I really love making them. However, there is no real rhyme or reason to baking....in my kitchen at least. There are so many components to baking if the chemistry is off just a little it will completely change the cake.
Hence the following cake:


Oh this little cake....look at you, you look so sweet and innocent all covered in your fondant & road. 
I had a request to do a "road" scene because this boy was turning two & loves trucks. So I started researching how to put a road in a cake. I thought the hard part was going to be cutting the road in the cake, but carving that was actually pretty painless. So then came the decorating. Normally I make my own fondant, but I thought covering the carved cake out of my fondant would be too hard. (Should not have doubted myself). So I pack up the girls, go to the store, buy the green fondant, get home, get it all rolled out & prepared, and lay it on the cake.......and as it starts to fold over the top to drape down the side of the cake....it starts cracking! UGH. This normally means the fondant is old & not really pliable anymore. So, deep breath, don't freak out, I rip the fondant off. I try to heat it in the microwave a little just to get it some elasticity. Roll it out & try again. AHHH same thing! So I have to rip if off the cake again! This time taking icing & some cake with it. This is why I don't like making cakes. haha :) So I give up for the night & seal it all up and I will work on it the next day. So I make a fresh batch of my fondant and am ready to try again.  Wouldn't you know it...everything goes perfect. Fondant lays out perfect, road goes on great, lines in the road are easy....yeah. Why do I doubt? I just wasted time & money. Sigh. Oh well. Looking at the cake now, on this side of it...seeing the finished product....I LOVE making cakes. During the process though, phew it is very stressful. 
So there you have it....a day in the life of making a cake! Sounds fun, right?? ;) 

3 comments:

Ashley Eiban said...

Oh my goodness Janna! You did such an amazing job! This is sooo great! Sorry you had so much trouble making it- but you really can't tell at all! So talented! :D

Anonymous said...

Girl! You work so hard on those cakes!

So proud of you pursuing your hobby :) I'm sure one day you'll be able to teach your girls and have some bonding time! ;)

Sweetly Broken said...

Thanks ladies! xoxo <3

Is this mic on?

 *Tap tap tap* Hello? Hello?? Is this mic on?  Testing, testing...1..2..3 Well hey there...it has been a hot minute since I have visited thi...