Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Overrated

I went out of town this past week to visit family. It was just me that went, and so as you can imagine there was a lot of travel time that was just for....me. No juggling kids, extra baggage, or anything else to be responsible for, outside of me. It was nice. And so...I read a book. An entire book! WOW!

The book I read was "Overrated" by Eugene Cho. I would suggest anyone to read this book, it was fantastic! You can find it here:
http://www.amazon.com/Overrated-More-Changing-World-Actually/dp/0781411122/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414589590&sr=1-1&keywords=overrated+eugene+cho

In the book he asks these questions:

Who am I?
Whom do I serve?
What are my values?
Where am I going?

So in an attempt to digest the book I just read I wanted to slow down and take a minute to answer these questions. As I sat down to think about them, I realized this was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Not sure if it was hard because I really don’t know the answers, or because I’m afraid if I say the answers out loud it will permanently seal it in stone and I don’t want to be "committed" or "labeled" to these things forever? I want the freedom to add or subtract at any time. (Commitment issues much?) Haha I’m sure it’s a little of both.

So with the freedom to be fluid and allow some my answers to change at any point here are my answers for now.

Who am I?
I am called Janna
I am a wife to Jeremy
I am a mom to Ella and Alivia
I am an admin at B& W
I am a youth leader
I am a follower of Christ
I am a daughter to Dan & Joan
I am a sister to Jeremiah
I am a friend to many
I am a cake maker

Whom do I serve?
I serve the local church & God
I serve my husband
I serve my kids
I serve Christy, Debbie, and Joe by caring for Brock
I serve my coworkers

What are my values?
I believe Jesus is the son of God who came to make a way for us to be in communion with God.
I believe we are to love and serve the Lord wholeheartedly while we are here on earth.
I believe the Bible is the inspired word of God - that still speaks to us today.
I value kindness, love, and patience.
I believe we all have a choice - in every decision we make we have the right to choose.
I value life and believe its Gods decision to start or end life.
I believe that while we have the freedom of choice - God's will, will still be done.

Where am I going?
Ultimately wherever God leads me
I am going to move to a new place of leadership within high school ministries
i am going to move to a place of disciple my kids
I am going to a deeper place within scripture
I am going to a deeper place of surrender

 

No comments:

Is this mic on?

 *Tap tap tap* Hello? Hello?? Is this mic on?  Testing, testing...1..2..3 Well hey there...it has been a hot minute since I have visited thi...